My favorite green juice and green smoothie recipes:
I have been making green smoothies for the last 7 – 8 years, and started juicing since I bought an Angel Juicer, which was 3 years ago. I must say that the juices coming from this Angel are heavenly.
I have tried many recipes from all kind of green smoothie recipe books, but to tell you the truth I don’t like them very often. They taste either to ‘green’, or it’s the opposite and its almost only a fruit smoothie, which just turns green because of a couple of spinach leaves. The sugar content will still be too high, causing your bloodsugar level to spike . As a veggie addict that’s not the way to go for me.
I would like to share with you my favorite green smoothie, my favorite green juice and the best of all, a combo of both, which results in a beautifully silky bright green coloured smoothie. You find all three recipes in this post…so keep on scrolling! Have fun with these easy recipes and let me know how it works out for you.
Thank you and much love Yvette
(Suggestion: print out my recipes, hang on your fridge or put in a binder)
The quickest one is a smoothie, many households have blenders these days, just throw it all in and the blender does the work. This smoothie recipe is a guideline, there are of course many variations. This one contains at least 4 different vegetables, 2-3 types of fruit and some flavours like mint and ginger. Here you go:
- 3 kale leaves, stemmed
- 1 big hand full of spinach, or chard or romaine lettuce
- 2 cellery stalks, cut in big chunks
- 3 - 4 inch cucumber (8 cm)
- 1 lemon, skin removed, but leave the white part (called pith) on, it seems to have lots of vitamin C and anti-oxidants
- 1/2-1 pear (this is the secret!!!!)
- 1/2-1 peeled orange.
- mint leaves
- 1-3 tbs avocado mash (optional, but yummy and a good fat source)
- 1 inch of ginger
- pinch of salt
- maple syrup for more desired sweetness
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup water
- or combination of any plantbased milk, like coconut milk, almond milk, rice milk, coconut water or water
- add 1 scoop of your plantbased protein powder
- or add some flax seeds, hemp seeds or chia seeds
- Throw all vegetables, fruits, ginger, herbs and avocado in your blender.
- Add your liquid until half of the container is filled, not too much at once.
- Blend for about 45 sec or a bit more if your blender is less powerful.
- Taste, add some maple syrup for sweetness, If too thick add more milk or water. If you taste too many veggies add a peeled orange.
- If you are eating vegan, it is wise to add some extra protein. BUT only add it into the glass you are taking at that moment. Meaning do not keep smoothies with the added protein for longer than an hour. I've noticed it could create a bitter taste.
- Leftover smoothies can be kept in a closed jar for max 2 days. You can definetely freeze it aswell.
- My favorite protein powder is 'garden of life'.
- Play with other fruits aswell like: mango, pineapple, banana, papaya,
- When you add 'red, purple or blue' kind of fruits, your smoothie will turn kinda brownish. Up to you !
Second one here is a real green juice, made with one of the best juicers. It was quite an investment, but I assume this Angel will last for ages, so definitely worth the money. The quality of a juicer is basically defined by the dryness of the leftover pulp. This Angel does it’s job really well, extracting all the juice, even some fibers and a huge concentration of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fytonutrients. All these goddess nutrients don’t even have to be digested.. it will go straight to your small intestines and can be absorbed by the blood immediately, bringing energy, fuel and food directly to your cells. YIHA.. For me the best start in the morning.
- 3 kale leaves including stems
- 3 swiss chard leaves including stems
- 2 cellery stalks with some leaves is ok
- 6 inch of cucumber
- some fennel stripes
- 1 inch of ginger
- some mint leaves with stems is ok
- 1/2 lemon, skin peeled off
- 1 appel, roughly cut (skin, seeds can all go to juicer)
- 1 orange, skin peeled off
- Switch on the juicer and put in the veggies first, one by one.
- Continue to add all the other ingredients.
- Stir the juice and taste. If you like more sweetness add some more fruit, this can be a kiwi, a pear, some more apple or orange. (banana's don't usually work in a juicer). Or you can always scoop in some maple syrup to make life easy.
- When ready, pour into a glass and enjoy immediately.
- Can be stored in fridge for up to 2 days in a closed jar, or can be frozen as well.
- 1. a good amount of greens like kale, chard, spinach, cellery, fennel, cucumber or a combi
- 2. some fruits like apple, pear, orange, kiwi, grapes. Don't add fruit that is too soft.
- 3. some additional flavours like, basil, mint, ginger, lime, lemon
- - add carrots
- - add beets
And last but not least a combo with green juice and fresh fruit:
- 3 kale leaves with stems
- 3 chard leaves or 2 handful of spinach
- 2 -3 cellery stalks
- piece of fennel
- 1 inch of ginger
- 1 lemon or lime, skin partially peeled (for beter lime taste)
- 1/2-1 pear (ripe)
- 1/2-1 orange skin off
- optional: 1/2 a banana
- optional: some plant based milk
- Blend....and the result will be a super green silky smooth juice to die for!
- Enjoy and share your creations.