In the mediterranean it’s the season of the figs. Such a versatile and beautiful fruit that combines very well with something salty like proscuitto, goatcheese, mozzarella or feta cheese. The taste of a perfectly ripe fig to me is amazing and roasted in the oven enhances the sweetness evenmore.
Since I am a kale salad lover I made up this Late Summer Kale and Fig Salad. Why kale…? Well, kale is one of the healthiest vegetables, it’s easy to prepare in advance, (other lettuces won’t let you prepare in advance, leaves will get soggy to quickly), and kale salads go very well with something sweet.
So all together this is a healthy and tasteful salad, with flavours of nuts, figs, cheese and citrus. So run to your veggie store to get the figs before the season is over. By the way, they have to be ripe when you buy them, dark and heavy.
I would be very pleased if you leave a comment. Thanks so much. Enjoy!
- Bunch of kale*
- 2 handfuls of Arugula (Rucola)
- 1 yellow or red onion
- 10 fresh and ripe figs
- 1/2 cup of raw hazelnuts (or if you prefer, roasted already)
- 6- 8 slices of goat cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup hazelnut oil (or walnut oil)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbs balsamico (normal or white)
- 1 tsp mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350-400 F (175-200 C)
- Halve the onion and slice each half thinly. Sauté onion in some olive oil/coconut oil or butter until nicely golden brown. Place onions on a plate to cool off.
- Remove the kale leaves from the stem, then wash and dry. Tear or slice with a sharp knife into smaller pieces. Place in big salad bowl.
- Make the dressing by combining all ingredients in a jar, shake thoroughly and taste. Add more nut oil if it needs a nuttier taste, add more orange juice for dilution or more citrusy taste. If you like more sweetness add some maple syrup, honey or palm sugar.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of dressing to the kale and some extra salt and pepper, massage thoroughly with your hands, squeezing as well.
- Place hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast in oven for about 10-15 minutes. Keep a close eye, they burn quickly.
- Cut figs in quarters and place on a baking tray covered with foil or parchment paper. Place figs in oven for about 10 minutes. You can do this simultaneously with the nuts.
- When nuts are ready, cool off and take off the outer fleece by rubbing the nuts in your hands. Chop the nuts roughly, or just leave them whole. Your choice.
- Take out figs, and put aside.
- Add the sautéed onions to the kale, add some arugula, place figs on top of salad, crumble the goatcheese over the salad, add the hazelnuts and add some more arugula leaves to decorate.
- Sprinkle with a bit more of the nutty dressing, and your salad is ready to serve.
- *Note: If you can get any kale, you can substitute the kale for spinach, lollo rosso, or any other lettuce mix. Although a crispy lettuce like iceberg or Romaine is not really recommended.
- If using kale, salad can be made in advance, 2 - 3 hours ahead.