Roasted Vegetables in the Oven
- 2 red onions, sliced (yellow onions are ok too)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped in squares
- 1 zucchini nicely chopped in cubes
- 1/2 eggplant, chopped in cubes
- ± 8 brown mushrooms, quartered
- 4 cloves of garlic, very finely chopped
- a bunch of cherry tomatoes
- A couple of chopped sun dried tomatoes (in oil)
- ± 1/4 cup olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper and salt
- Optional: some fresh herbs like rosemary, oregano or marjory (even dried herbs will work as well)
- For a smoky flavour: add 1 tbs of smoked paprika powder
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped in cubes (slightly smaller cubes than the zucchini ones) or 1/2 a butternut squash, cubed
- Peheat oven on 190 C (380 F)
- Cut all veggies as described
- Place in a big oven dish or use the oven tray. Important: don't make layer to thick. (otherwise veggies are cooking instead of roasting)
- Add garlic, sun dried tomatoes, olive oil, pepper, salt and fresh herbs
- Toss together thoroughly
- Place in preheated oven for about 40 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and check for tenderness, especially the sweet potato or butternut should be soft enough to eat. (and this might take a bit longer)
- When preparing this dish in advance, leave out the salt. Salt will drain the water that's in the zuchinni and the eggplant, making the dish too watery. Add salt just before placing the tray in the oven or even after it's roasted.
- I love roasted vegetables for my next day salad. Mix with quinoa, spinach or other greens, add some nuts, fresh herbs and your salad is ready togo!
Yvette’s Healthy Kitchen http://yvetteshealthykitchen.com/