Served with “I SEA PASTA”, a seaweed based pasta
A tomato pasta sauce has been a staple in our family since generations, as if we are Italian, but we’re not.
I have been thinking to reintroduce this amazing versatile pasta sauce, but wanted to make a more distinct flavour and wanted to make the sauce a bit more creamier.
Here is my latest version. As you can expect it is loaded with a variation of vegetables. As for flavour I tweaked it a bit and discovered ‘smoked paprika powder’, it tastes as if the sauce is infused with Bacon..! But luckily we can skip this meat ingredient and replace it for the smoked paprika powder. I also added blackened and peeled roasted red bell peppers, delicious.
I also like to introduce here a new product: “I SEA BACON” . This is an amazing product made of seaweed with the yummy smoky flavour of bacon. A vegan crunchy topping is made!!
To summarize, this recipe:
- is incredibly healthy, only veggies, and a bit of olive oil.
- has a great smoky flavour
- is great for kids
- is easy to make a big pot and freeze portions in ziplocks for future busy days and kidslunches
I always have the urge to give you the best recipe as, with as many options as possible. Please be aware that you can easily skip some ingredients in order to make it simpler for yourself.
Goodluck, and feel free to email me for any questions.
Share a picture of your dish on instagram #yvetteshealthykitchen or facebook. Thank you.
p.s.: check out my other “I SEA PASTA” dish called: I SEA SPAIN
Blend peppers and tomato sauce.
Sauté zucchini and mushrooms separately with smoked paprika powder
Fry the “I SEA BACON” in some olive oil or odorless coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 4 cellery stalks, diced
- 1 big zucchini, diced
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 3 red and/or yellow peppers, diced
- 6-8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3 tbs smoky paprika powder
- Olive oil
- Keltic Salt and pepper
- 1 leek (optional), finely cut
- 10-15 mushrooms, sliced or quartered.
- 2-4 can's or jars with peeled tomatoes, tomato sauce or tomato puree
- 1-3 jar's with peeled red bell pepper's (or you can make them yourself, but it is a bit more time consuming)
- vegan minced meat, whatever is available and to your liking
- whole wheat pasta
- seaweed pasta
- spiralled zucchini!
- black olives
- italian parsley, chopped
- "I SEA BACON", fried in oil
- Work in a big pot, add some oil and sauté onions on medium heat until transculent.
- Add: cellery, carrots, leek and garlic, sauté and stir for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- Add: the peppers and the eggplant, and continue to stir for another couple of minutes.
- Add the smoked paprika powder and stir thoroughly for 1 minute.
- In a blender add the jars of tomato sauce and the peeled red bell peppers and blend. The creaminess comes from adding those delicious peeled peppers!!
- Add this sauce to the veggie mixture and stir, let it cook for another 5-15 minutes, until veggies are cooked (I personally don't like veggies overcooked, so I keep it kinda crunchy)
- While sauce is cooking, heat a frying pan and sauté the diced zucchini and mushrooms with an extra tbs of smoked paprika powder for about 5 minutes. Add this mixture to the pasta sauce. Add more tomato sauce if needed.
- In the same frying pan, add some odorless coconut oil and fry some pieces of the "I SEA BACON", it will turn from black into greenish and then it's ready and crunchy.
- Cook your choice of pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
- Serve in a bowl or on a plate, sprinkle with chopped fresh Italian Parsley, some black olives and the 'I SEA BACON"
- As for the vegan minced meat, before adding all into the sauce, try a bit first, and see if you like the taste. (Occasionaly it tastes not as good, that's why I often serve this dish without any meat replacement at all)
- I hope you and your family are happy with the outcome.
- I usually make small batches in ziplocks, freeze it, and leave it for my teenagers when they are by themselves.
- If you are not vegan, you can add some minced beef, and grated parmesan.