Most of you will be in Autumn mood by now and Halloween is around the corner. Ok..yes we have to deal with chilly weather..but who doesn’t love the Autumn colours and feeling more cozy at home.
I keep promoting these amazing healthy greens and luckily Kale is getting easier available everywhere. So Kale is the base, then I added sautéed onions and sweet potatoes. You can then choose a variety of ingredients, whether you are vegan or vegetarian, whether you want it to be a side salad or a main course. Also the way of presenting this dish has many options. Beautifully presented on a plate, or all ingredients presented separately as in a Buddha Bowl, or all mixed in a bowl. Everything is possible.
Sometimes I notice that people still find Kale, specifically in a Salad, a bit sturdy to eat.. Ok i do get this.. Here some tricks to get the most out of your Kale Salad:
- the Cavolo Nero, or Lacinato Kale is a bit sturdier then the Curly Kale, nevertheless if you continue following the next tricks..you don’t have to worry it will get soft and tasty.
- Always remove the stem, stack the leaves on top of each other and make very thin stripes with a sharp knife, followed by some sideway cuts.
- Prepare in advance if you have extra time. If not, at least cut your Kale first, make the dressing and add dressing to your Kale, then massage and squeeze you Kale. Taste and add more salt-pepper or dressing if needed.
- Kale salads can be prepared in advance and can easily be kept for another day. This in comparison with other greens that look soggy pretty quick.
- Health benefits are huge, it’s a superfood.
Good luck and enjoy.
Autumn Coloured Kale Salad with a Citrus Dressing
- a bunch of Kale curly or cavolo nero or mixed together
- 1 red onion sliced in half rings
- 1 medium sweet potato cubed or sliced
- a handful of pecans roasted
Additional ingredients, your choice
- black lentils for added protein
- quinoa cooked (for proteins and healthy carbs)
- black rice
- feta cheese for vegetarians
- chopped parsley
- pumpkin seeds roasted
- 2/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs white balsamic or white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard dijon
- salt and pepper
- maple syrup
- Kale: tear of leaves from stem, stack the leaves and thinly slice with a sharp knife. The smaller the pieces, the easier it is to eat.
- Make the dressing by adding all ingredients into a jar, shake and taste. Add more walnut oil for a nuttier taste, add some maple syrup or sugar if you like it more sweet.
- Pour some of the dressing over the kale and start to massage the kale with your hands. This is a must! Taste a piece of the kale leave, add some extra pepper and salt if you like.
- Slice the onion and sauté in some coconut oil or olive oil until onions are completey softened.
- Slice/cut the sweet potato and sauté in a frying pan aswell until tender. Or you might have leftovers from yesterdays roasted sweet potatoes in your oven.
- Roast your nuts and/or seeds.
- Assemble everything on a plate or in a bowl. (see images)
- Choose some of the other ingredients to your liking.
- I added black lentils, avocado and chopped parsley
- Add some more dressing, sprinkle with sea salt and fresh pepper
Deliciously Autumn.. earthy and citrusy
Can be kept in fridge for next day's lunch to go!