It’s been a while, I was on a long Christmas holiday break and decided to just have fun with Gerardo and my two daughters.
But I am back in wintery Europe and I was longing for this hearty, chunky, pea soup, bringing back memories from when we were iceskating in the Netherlands, coming back home with freezing toes and really needing to warm up.
I wanted to make a vegan version, to support my daughter Maura, and because we are all ‘almost vegans’. I needed to imitate the smoky flavour of bacon and sausage, and used ‘smoked paprika powder’. I was surprised how well it worked.
There is a new product on the market which should have the same effect. It’s called ” I SEA BACON“. It’s from the same company where “I SEA PASTA” is coming from, which I used in a really nice spanish flavoured dish, called I SEA SPAIN. I just ordered the “I Sea Bacon” and hope to get it in a couple of days, can’t wait to make my first recipe with this new ingredient.
The recipe of this Dutch Pea Soup is loaded with vegetables, no surprise for you! I love the taste of celery root. As for sausages I bought a ‘vegan frankfurter’ at my local organic store. Feel free to buy any kind of vegan sausages that you like, preferably with a smoky flavour.
It’s a simple recipe, easy to make, just plan ahead and soak the dried peas or the split peas, overnight.
Tip: make a big pot.. 2nd day it will taste even better!
Traditional Dutch Pea Soup, Vegan Style
- 300 a 400 gr dried spilt peas
- 1 big yellow onion cubed
- 1 leek cut lengthwise, then thinly sliced to make 1/2 rings
- 2 medium carrots cubed
- 1 cup of cubed celery root
- 2 cellery stalks thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of cubed potatoes
- About 1 liter of vegetable stock carton or stock cube with water
- 1-3 tsp of smoked paprika powder
- Salt and fresh pepper
- Garnish: chopped celery leaves
- Vegan tofu based sausage smoky flavour
- Soak (split) peas overnight in water.
- Cook peas until soft. Drain and transfer to food processor to smash the peas, or use a potato masher, (do not make a puree) and put aside
- In a big pot, heat some olive oil, ghee or odorless coconut oil, add the onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes, add chopped carrots and continue to sauté. Add 1 tbs of the smoked paprika powder, while stirring continuously.
- Add the other veggies; celery stalks, celery root, potatoes, and leeks. Add at least one more tsp of smoked paprika powder.
- Once the smoked paprika is well incorporated into the veggies, add stock until all veggies are covered. Add some salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the smashed peas, and more stock, depending on thickness and according to your liking.
- Stir and simmer for about another 20 minutes. Taste, add more salt and pepper if needed, or more smoked paprika if you like it more smoky.
- Meanwhile, cut sausages in nice bite size pieces and sauté in a frying pan for 4-6 minutes.
- Have bowls ready, scoop soup in bowls, add sausages and sprinkle with some chopped celery leaves
- Serve with a piece of authentic bread and yummy olive oil!
Easy to freeze.