Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups quinoa white, red, black or a mix
- 4 - 6 spring onions cut lengthwise then finely chop
- 1 cup good quality kalamati olives pitted, and sliced or quartered.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 cups roma or cherry tomatoes nicely ripe, quartered or cut in half
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts chopped
- ± 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- A dash of soya or tamari* sauce
- Freshly grounded pepper and salt to taste
- 1- 2 hours ahead of time (or the evening before) cook the quinoa for about 12-15 minutes.
- Drain quinoa and put it back in the pot, close lid and let stand for 30 min. (if you skip this step your quinoa salad may end up too wet)
- Then take off lid and let stand until completely cooled off and dry enough. Stir with a fork.
- Meanwhile prepare all the other ingredients, spring onions, tomatoes, olives, fresh herbs and 1/2 of the pistachio nuts and put it in a salad bowl.
- When quinoa is ready, add the quinoa to the other ingredients in the bowl. Don't add all the quinoa at once because you might have too much quinoa. I like such a salad to be full of vegetables, herbs and flavours. These kind of salads are often too scarce in their ingredients so if you think you need more tomatoes, herbs or olives, just add.
- Finishing touch: Add olive oil, Tamari salt and pepper. Taste and add more if needed.
- Sprinkle with the chopped pistachio nuts.
*Tamari is similar to soy sauce but contains less wheat and is slightly different in taste.