While writing this recipe I am literally flying above the clouds! I am so fortunate being a flight attendant for KLM and was able to take place in the Business Class, from Los Angeles to Amsterdam. Dedicated “me” time which meant writing down the recipes that I created when spending 10 days with Gerardo in Maui, while both our girls each went their own way, one to a summercamp and the other to a sustainability summercourse. I am feeling totally in the clouds!! so grateful for everything possible in our lives.
Passionate I was again in Maui, about the abundance of nature and healthy food. I came up with many recipes. And my next post will cover a whole chapter about the simplicity of Buddha Bowls filled with greens. For now I like to share with you this juicy Mediterranean Summer Salad. The secret here is roasting the cherry tomatoes in the oven, which enhances the intense sweetness of the tomatoes. We liked it soo much, we ate it three days in a row.
Mediterranean Summer Salad with Juicy, Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Fresh baby spinach 4 handfulls
- 1 1/2 cup of the freshest basil you can get
- 1 cup yellow and red cherry and/or roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Greek Kalamati olives unpitted
- 1 red onion roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cup brown mushrooms or portobellos quartered
- 1 garlic clove roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- olive oil
- aged balsamic vinegar
- Freshly grounded salt and pepper
- Preheat oven on 400 F. / 200 C. If you have an 'roast' option choose this.
- Slice tomatoes in half and place, face upwards in an oven dish, sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In another oven dish mix together the chopped onions and brown mushrooms, garlic, oregano, pepper and olive oil.
- When oven is ready, roast both dishes for about 20 minutes, check from time to time. It should be well roasted, so if needed roast for 5 to 10 min more
- Roast pine nuts in a skillet for a couple of minutes. Keep an eye on it…as they can start burning from one second to the other..( not the first time..I have got to throw the burned ones away and start all over again whith these expensive pine nuts!!)
- Slice the kalamati olives
- Thinly cut the fresh basil, in small stripes with a sharp knife
- When roasted tomatoes and onion/mushroom mixture is ready take it out of the oven and let it cool off a little bit. It may still be warm when serving over the salad.
- Start assembling everything together either in one big salad bowl, or making individual plates/bowls.
- First the spinach and half of the fresh basil, sprinkle with some olive oil, a dash of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Add the mushroom mixture and decorate with tomatoes,
- Add the olives and crumbled goatcheese,
- Followed by the rest of the basil and the pine nuts.
- Some extra freshly ground pepper and salt.
- Serve with some crispy oven baked bread a glass of wine and enjoy the sunset!