Hi moms and teenagers !
My girls embrace their ‘lunch to go’ for schooldays.
I can’t deny it, it does take some effort, BUT you give them a huge healthy habit for the rest of their lives, worth it, right?!
This is my first one to post, but more examples and ideas on their way. For now, here you go:
It includes a dinner idea as well because you make and prepare part of the lunch the evening before, which are my Roasted Vegetables.
Good luck with making this lunch to go. Hope your kids will get the taste of healthy and nutritious lunches and inspire other kids, like mine are doing. Maura, my oldest started eating vegan a year ago, and inspired all her girlfriends at school to eat vegan too! Next week I will give my first teenage cooking workshop for them. Will keep you posted.
(I wish my images were a bit more ‘bright’, unfortunately I have no daylight in my current kitchen)
school lunch to go!
- Greens: kale most nutritious one, or spinach, swiss chard, rucola, or a mix of lettuces.
- Roasted Vegetables.
- Grains: any cooked grains ready in a container in your fridge like quinoa, bulghur, couscous, freekeh or brown basmati rice.
- Protein: for extra protein you can add lentils or garbanzos.
- Dressing: olive oil lemon juice and or balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper.
- cherry tomatoes
- avocado slices/cubes
- chopped nuts
- roasted seeds
- fresh herbs like basil or parsley
- sprouted seeds like alfafa
- for non vegans or non vegetarians you can add: feta cheese wild salmon or chicken.
The evening before make and prepare the following
- Grains: have some grains, like quinoa, bulghur, freekeh or brown rice already cooked.
- Legumes: same story, have cooked legumes ready in your fridge: Garbanzos, lentils, mung beans etc.
Assemble directly in the lunch container
- Add you greens, drizzle with olive oil, balsamic and or lemon juice, add salt and pepper. In case of Kale..massage the kale.
- Add the roasted vegetables.
- Now add your choice of toppings.