While I am passionate about food and always love to share my ideas and inspirations with you it doesn’t happen as much as I would like. So yes I am not a full-time foodblogger yet, I have a family and I also have another job as a flight attendant for KLM which I really enjoy. Furthermore I like to just enjoy life as it unfolds, I like to be active, spending time with my husband and with friends and travel. The coming years, when my girls will leave the nest, I hope to gradually be able to spend more time sharing my ideas with you, whether through blogging, workshops or maybe a book. Please stay in touch!
Here’s a spring salad with vegetables that many of us don’t use that often, like fennel, radicchio or endives, they have more bitterness, a taste which we often don’t like as much, but bitterness certainly needs to be added in a healthy diet, and has many advantages:
- it helps to absorb nutrients
- balances tast buds and controls that sweet tooth
- cleanses the body
- stimulates metabolism
- fights free radicals and stimulates immune functions
The bitterness of these veggies will be softened by the creaminess of the avocado, the sweetness of the pomegranate seeds and the nutty flavour of the roasted hazelnuts. Good luck and enjoy!
Spring Salad with spinach, fennel, radicchio, avocado and hazelnuts
- baby spinach will be the base of your salad, fill your salad bowl with a good amount of spinach
- 1 small radicchio finely sliced or teared
- 2 handfuls of arugula rucola
- 1 fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 3 springonions cut lengthwise and then thinly chopped
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup roasted and chopped hazelnuts or walnuts
- juice of 1 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly grounded pepper
- balsamico vinegar
extra options or variations
- - endives thinly sliced
- - feta cheese crumbled
- Prepare/cut all the veggies as mentionned above.
- Place spinach, radicchio and arugula in a big salad bowl and add a dash of olive oil, a dash of lemon juice, salt and pepper, and mix well
- Sprinkle some lemon juice and salt over the fennel and massage.
- Add fennel, spring onions, avocado, pomegranate seeds and hazelnuts.
- Add more olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Every once taste is different, I like it this way, but many love to add some balsamico!
A honey-mustard dressing will be very tasty for this salad aswell.
Endives, another bitter vegetable in combination with some apple and walnuts is a great combi with this salad too.