I had no intention at all to make such a great dish tonight..but as soon as I started cooking..it all just unfolded and I was mega satisfied with the outcome. It’s sweet, savory and very comforting on a cold winter night.
So no more time to waste, here’s the recipe:
Sweet Potato Mash
For the Mash
- 2 medium/large sweet potatoes cubed roughly (put aside 1/2 cup in smaller cubes)
- 8-12 Lacinato Kale leaves thinly sliced. When it comes to stir frying I really prefer the Lacinato Kale, its much sweeter and not as sturdy as the Curly Kale. But the last one will do it's job as well.
- 1 red onion cubed nicely
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- a dash of tamari sauce
- 1 tps of smoked red pepper powder
- optional: 1 tbs fresh sage leaves thinly chopped
- salt and pepper
- optional; some olive oil
- 12-14 Brussels sprouts cleaned and halved
- 1/2 cup of sweetpotatoes in smaller cubes
- 2 cups Brown mushrooms or Portabello mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup Raw Cashew nuts
- Olive oil Salt and Pepper
- Turn on oven on 190-200 Celcius
- Place brussels sprouts and the 1/2 cup of smaller cubed sweetpotatoes, in an oven dish, sprinkle with olive oil, salt and peper and roast for about 25 minutes until tender. (mix halfway).
- Also roast the cashew nuts for about 10 minutes in the oven (Set a timer...they burn quickly!!)
- Meanwhile get water to boil in a pot and once boiling add the rest of the sweetpotatoes and boil until tender, drain. Place lid on pot and let stand for 5 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are boiling and roasting, prepare the kale, onion, garlic and mushrooms.
- Using a frying pan, sauté the onions slowly in a bit of olive oil or odorless coconut oil. Once onions are nicely golden brown, add garlic, stir for 1 - 2 minutes and then add the kale. Stir again for a couple of minutes until Kale is wilted. Add the smoked pepper powder, the sage leaves, some salt and pepper. Stir again and taste.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher. And add the Kale mixture. Mix thoroughly. Place lid on pot to keep warm.
- In same frying pan, sauté the mushrooms until nicely browned. Turn of heat when ready
- Check brussels sprout from the oven. If ready take out.
- Ready to assemble all nicely on a plate (see image)
- Place the sweetpotato mash in the middle of a plate, place mushrooms on top, and some sage leaves for decoration. Put some brussels sprouts and sweetpotato around it. And the roasted cashews as well. Sprinkle with a bit of oil, some extra fresh sea salt and pepper.
- Voila another vegan dish is ready.
available or if you are not vegan or vegetarian you can always use some smoked bacon.
If you have big eaters.. increase the amount of ingredients slightly.!